Welcome

More and more I want to stay close to you,
this way I can travel far from home,
and return back with new eyes,
new stories,
a new tongue.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Poem for today: EAGLE CLIFF


Eagle Cliff



Stuck and holding on,
a bloody knuckle grip into the Miniwaska granite,
a toe-hold with the right foot,
the left on a one-inch ledge,
spread eagle thirty-five feet above
rock shards that slid off this mountain
before sound was born on earth,
I am scaling Eagle Cliff alone,
when a bee buzzes my ear
and returns again and again
in tight chaotic orbits.
Why am I here?
going back is impossible,
...there...a rotted pine shrub,
barely within reach of my left fingertips...
I grab for
it, seems to snap even before I touch
it, falls out of my hand to the rocks
(below, I was immortal, now I’m
not on terra firma any
more thoughts of my
kids don’t have to prove to themselves that they are young
forever)

shoulder elbow wrist and digits jerk away from the mountain my right hand digs deeper into its crack hips and thighs push against the wall I arch my spine in a convulsion.
In this infinite moment
dark oblivion invades my lungs,
and leaves the etchings of her claws
on the chambers of my heart,
as a warning.


No comments:

Post a Comment